Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Untold stories of Fort Myers

I was very surprised by the information I learned about Fort Myers. Being from Minnesota, I know next to nothing about this area. Being a Twins fan, of course, I have been going to pre-season games since I moved down here. I found it interesting that they have been coming here for spring training since just after WWII. I didn't even know Minnesota had a team back then. Another interesting piece of information I learned was that this area was originally Monroe county, before becoming independent from Key West. My grandparents have always told me that I am a descendant of General Robert E. Lee so I was pleased to find out that the county was named after him. I visited Edison's home not long after I moved down here but was shocked at how many people were on record to have passed through his home. Not knowing that Edison's wife had dreams of having a college named after him, I am very pleased that was made possible in the 1960's. I had no idea that Fort Myers was such a historic city. Now that I am aware, I am looking forward to spending my evening there tonight. I love learning the history of historic cities. I enjoy visiting them and wondering what it would have been like to live during a previous time period. I live in Estero and rarely ever go to Fort Myers, let alone downtown Fort Myers. I think The furthest North I have gone is Edison Mall, which I was surprised has been around since the 60's.

No comments:

Post a Comment