Saturday, July 2, 2011

Post #14: Service Learning

My service learning experience was at Koreshan State Historic Site on the corner of Hwy 41 and Corkscrew Road. During my time there I worked on many different projects. The first day I was there I did some standard upkeep around the historic site. I swept the walkways, steps and decks of the buildings, and raked the debris from the shell walkways around the site. I learned a lot about the Koreshans from reading the information boards around the site and watching a video on display during my break. Although I think that what the Koreshans believed in was ridiculous, I still found it interesting that they developed their own self sustaining environment. They had their own general store, bakery, laundry facility, work shop, water system and eventually their own electricity, thanks to Thomas Edison.

My second day there I organized some paperwork for Michael Heare in his office. After that I pulled air potatoes. Air potatoes, like Brazilian or Australian Pine, are not native to Florida. These air potato vines take over everything, and because they are not part of Florida's natural landscape the park does not want them there. I'm not gonna lie, this was not my favorite part of my experience due to all the mosquitoes, but I was glad to help support the park in maintaining Florida's natural landscape. 

All in all, I had a great experience. I learned a lot about the history of the Koreshans and the park itself. I also really enjoyed the trails and am planning on going back to do some kayaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment